Northala Fields parkrun - event 455

Northala Fields parkrun

On the 20th July 2024 I ran the Northala Fields parkrun which was the 455th event held at the venue, my 193rd parkrun and 115th different course I'd attended.

One of the parkrun courses I've been looking forward to visiting has been Northala Fields. The reason might surprise you.

When the old Wembley stadium was demolished in the early 2000's, rubble from the ground was taken west and buried in wasteland just off the A40 in Northolt. 4 hills were made of various sizes and it became part of a new parkland for the London Borough of Ealing and opened in 2008. 6 years later in 2014, it became home to Northala Fields parkrun.

Driving to Northala Fields, I was once again taken by sat-nav via the A12 and around the north circular. I've done this trip now on several occasions and despite a couple of pinch points have never had a bad trip. That said, now I've made this declaration my next trip is going to be a shocker. I guess there are other routes that could be taken involving the M25, but the least time spent on that road the better.

Upon arrival, I parked at the parking space nearest to the A40 and was in perfect position right next to the four hills. Beneath which lay the dust of one the most iconic and memorable football stadiums in history. I visited the old Wembley Stadium at least five times. Four football matches, including Gillingham twice and once to see Oasis in concert during their familiar to millions tour 

There may well be a plaque or some signage, but I didn't see anything anywhere and so visitors to the park may well not know the significance of these four hills. But I did, and was desperate to climb up one and get a view from the top. I took the one closest to the car park which had no formal path to it. The next one along to the left of the carpark had a spiral pathway leading to the top, similar to the walnut whip hill at the Thames Path Woolwich parkrun. 

Having made it the top, via a grassy path with a well trodden surface, I was able to take in the 360 degree views which offered me sights of Heathrow Airport further west and behind me, to the east the arch of the new Wembley built in the same place as the dust I was standing upon had come from.

After I'd had my fill of sentimental nostalgia and played back both Gillingham play-off finals I made my way down the opposite side from which I'd come. The start line was at the bottom at a junction of multiple pathways next to a cafe/toilet area. Sadly the toilets were out of use before the run, so I explore the area for a little bit in the hunt for a more natural bathroom.

The event may well be called Northala Fields, but the one-lap course takes in two other parks, (Medlar and Rectory) which are all joined and inter-connected by a series of tarmac and firm pathways.

Starting just south of the cafe, the route heads towards the roundabout junction and runs past three of the four hills on the left hand side. The route then follows a gravel path alongside the fourth hill, which rises up slightly to give the course it's only real bite of elevation. The path then loops around the back of the hills and follows the path back to the cafe which bisects the first and second hill, running through them like a valley on either side.

This first mini-loop then rejoins the roundabout next to.the cafe and heads town the start straight in the opposite direction, continuing on deeper into the park and into the other spaces named above.

Heading through various gateways and following tarmac paths the course came out into the first playing field which we ran the perimeter of via the outside compacted gravel path.The playing field morphed into another and we continued to run around the outside whilst other people.were enjoying their Saturday morning leisure activities in the same public space. Whether that was boys football training, or small personal training sessions taking place.

The wide loop around the playing fields was flat and firm underfoot and made for some great running conditions. We rejoined the Northala Fields section of the course via.a short woodland section which was sheltered from the sun and I appreciated the coolness out of the sun. 

Eventually we arrived back at the start line and started to retrace our steps from the beginning of the event. But instead of taking a right at the roundabout we took a left and looped around the first of the four hills. Effectively what we'd done is take a wider loop of the four hills, instead of bisecting through numbers 1 and 2 we took a full loop around, but in the opposite direction. So that we had a little dip down to the finish straight along to the finish which was set up just outside the cafe on the grass.

I finished in 116th place out of a field of 285 in a time of 28:24. I'd completed one of London's rare one lap courses and had a thoroughly good time whilst doing so! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've a Stalker in Jesus

Not Alone in the Forest

A Great British Summer