Kingston parkrun - event 672

Kingston parkrun

On the 27th July 2024 I ran the Kingston parkrun which was the 672nd event held at the venue, my 194th parkrun and 116th different course I'd attended.

This week's parkrun experience was a slightly different one to normal. I had the family with me and was joined by my niece, River who actually wanted to take part as well.

The last time the family were in tow was in May during our Dutch double and River was with us once again, full of enthusiasm which I mighty refreshing when you compare her attitude to my own kids!

Originally I'd planned Kingston on the basis that it was by the river, in a lovely part of town and it would be a way of celebrating my birthday (which was the day before). Rather than having a heavy takeaway on the Friday night we'd all go to parkrun. I'd run, whilst the wife and kids watched and then we'd find somewhere nice for some breakfast.

In the end Oliver was unable to mr ake it as he had a driving lesson booked and we'd not be back in time, and when River was around on Friday night she asked about parkrun and if she was able to come too. Who am I to curb a youngsters enthusiasm?

I found us a parking space in the Travel Lodge in Teddington for £2.20 via the YourParkingSpace app. It took me an age to manoeuvre the car into what was actually the world's smallest car park and contained several of the worlds smallest parking spaces which were all taken up by larger than average vehicles. I might have parked illegally in a parking bay but desperate times meant for desperate measures.

We'd planned to arrive by 8am to give us plenty of time to walk the 1.3miles to the parkrun start which was at the Hawker Centre on the northern side of the River Thames. But with all of the shenanigans of parking the car and registering the vehicle with the Travel Lodge afterwards we didn't start walking down Teddington High street until 8:20 which started making me anxious.

Stephanie isn't the quickest walker in the world and isn't especially gracious when being hurried along. But we made good time and was at the start line for 8:50 via a footbridge that crossed the river with plenty of boats making their way along in what was quite beautiful surroundings. It was a glorious morning and the sun was shining brightly making everything blue much bluer and everything green more vibrantly green.

The start was situated about 100 yards before the Hawker centre on the northern embankment of the River Thames with the finish line just in front of the YMCA building. The toilets were located here and a number of other facilities which we just about had time to make use of before the start of the run.

The course, starting further west of the finish was slightly off of the main river path. Tucked away in the corner of small field it may have been easy to miss had it not been for the number of participants congregating in the area at the appropriate time. 

One lap of the small field serves two puposes. One, it helps make up the required 5k distance and 2, it helps spread the field out in what is a fairly thin and congested route.

Once the field has been successfully circumnavigated the route reaches the primary river path and follows it by heading west back towards Teddington in the direction we had done.

As I was running with River I decided to adopt some slightly different tactics to our previous run. I told River that I'd run very slowly and she'd need to keep up with me. Whether that was by walking fast (I was running that slowly!), or whether it was by walking and then running to catch up it was entirely up to her.

The course followed the river west as part of a lollipop route that was mostly under tree cover, but at certain parts offered wonderful views of the river and the water traffic that carried it. River wasn't as mesmerized by the scenery as I was, but she continued to plug away at her walk run strategy without any fuss whatsoever.

It wasn't until we'd reached the loop, which was a single file route across country to rejoin the main river path that she began to waver. 'Can we walk a bit?', she asked. 'Can you drag me?'. So I did. Firstly I walked, but at a fast pace so there wasnt much difference between my running and my walking speed. Before holding her hand and running whilst pulling her along behind me

Eventually, having retraced out footsteps we made our way back to the start. It was here I have River the go-ahead to run 'full beans' to the finish, which she attempted, but wasn't as fast as I expected her to be.

I finished the event in 297th position out of a field of 322 participants in a time of  41.37. I thought River had done an absolutely amazing effort and was on course for smashing her previous best time which was set at Karpendonske Plas back in May. But it wasn't to be. I'm fact she was a couple of minutes slower which I found very surprisingly. Not that it matters. But either way, her attitude towards it was bang on and long may that continue!

After the run was supposed to be the main event, the whole reason the kids had come along in the first place - breakfast! We stopped off right on the river on the southern side of Teddington Lock by the river at a pub called 'The Anglers'. Despite an impressive sounding menu and good quality ingredients the food was well below par. My breakfast was cold, Stephanie's was over cooked and the kids food arrived in micro portions. They'd been given kids versions of the adult meals they'd ordered and half the listed ingredients were missing.

So it turned out not quite the day I had planned but with River proving youngsters can show effort and determination - good for her! Hopefully it runs off onto my kids!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've a Stalker in Jesus

Not Alone in the Forest

A Great British Summer