Tilgate parkrun - event 550

Tilgate parkrun

On the 9th March 2024 I ran the Tilgate parkrun which was the 550th event held at the venue, my 173rd parkrun and 97th different course I'd attended.

There are two parkruns in Crawley, Tilgate and Ifield Mill Pond. Like many alphabet chasers I visited the latter in search for a rare 'I' event and would have missed out on Tilgate had it not been for geography and the fact that Crawley isn't that far and quite accessible from home.

I also had another reason for wanting to visit the event, which was to say hello and catch up with a former James Villa Holidays colleague who like me has taken up running since our time ended at the company. He is a regular runner at Tilgate and ahead of my visit I slid into his DMs to get the lowdown on what to expect.

He reiterated advice which I'd already learnt in that the course was a beautiful one around a lake, but he warned me of 'chevron' hill, a short sharp beast that was somewhat of a nemesis to him.

Tilgate parkrun gets an average of over 500 runners each week and I was slightly concerned that I'd not bump into my former colleague, so it was somewhat a surprise when the first person I bumped into the carpark on arrival was he himself. He'd also just arrived and so we had a short chat in the carpark. I was looking for where to pay and he was heading around to the start to meet some friends. 

The carparking was actually free before 11 which is always good news to any parkrunner. But as we were slightly early Foordy who was travelling with me again wanted to wait in the warmth of the car whilst I'm always keen to get to the start and take a few pictures along the way. It was also a five minute walk around the lake to the meeting point and I always worry about being late.

With the number of participants and a starting area smaller than the space is comfortable for, the organisers of the event have implemented a smart solution - a split start. One starting area is right next to the lake and the other is slightly up on the hill beside it facing downwards towards a higher raised path.

The two paths follow parallel with one another, but are at different elevations. This isn't immediately obvious as there are a number of bushes and trees in the way, but once you turn the bend by the lake the path opens up and your can see two lines of participants running alongside the lake, three metres above one another. It's certainly one of the more unique views I've encountered on a parkrun course.

Even with a split start, the pathways are still fairly narrow and congested to begin with. I attempted to overtake on the grass, but with the weather we'd had this week it was muddy and slippery and I inevitably fell over, managing to catch my fall with my hands. It might have helped lesson the dirt and mud, but the embarrassment was a very real thing!

It took me a while to shake my embarrassment off, but running directly next to the water and seeing people running above me was ample distraction.

The two paths eventually converge with the lower path dipping upwards to join the at the top. The convergence point was wide and on a bend and easily managed with no further mishaps. The path here turns south and starts following the eastern end of the lake in a waving bendy path that is primarily flat.

I find that during winter we never see the parks or venues I've visited at their best. Trees are often bare, skies are grey and the weather miserable, bit Tilgate had lots to admire and I'm sure that in spring and summer months the course is even more beautiful.

After the lake has been successfully circumnavigated the route turns left to start the top lap part of the course. The Tilgate course can be compared to a number 8, with the bottom of the number the lake, which is done twice and the top lap done once. The top lap is where the challenge kicks in and the fun starts!

Turning left, the path continues to wiggle it's way around the grounds before heading up hill. The path zig zags it's way to the top, reaching the Smith and Western cafe where there's another zig-zag. A wooden path that crosses its way from the park and into the carpark beyond.

The route then takes in part of the parks access road which is marshalled for traffic. There were two cars coming up the road as I was running down towards the crossing point. The marshalls stopped the runners to let the cars by but fortunately I didn't need to stop and kept my momentum going.

Once over the road the route joins a short trail section. The whole course is on form tarmac paths, except for this small section. I was advised to wear road shoes by my former colleague and I'd completely agree. Although this part of the course was slightly muddy, it wasn't at all slippery and was firm underfoot.

After the short trail section the path turned left again and started to head uphill. I found the path here a little odd, half of the path was flat tarmac and the other was carved concrete. It wasn't until later that I realised that the carvings were chevron shaped and that this was the hill that I'd been warned about! Chevron Hill! My friend was correct, it was a bit of evil one!

I managed to make it to the top without stopping but there were plenty of people ahead of me who had been beaten by my friends Nemesis. I too would have been beaten by it not so long ago, but I've beaten some hills recently and my mental strength is definitely getting stronger.

What goes up, must come down and the down hill section after Chevron Hill was great fun! It was quite a sustained descent and not too steep so you could run down it comfortably fast without worrying about falling over. At the bottom you rejoin the path at the side of the lake and it's a case of following it around again for another lap. The finish sits in the middle of the two starting points on the corner of the lake by the shore. There's quite a nice approach path towards the finish which combines a mixture of people who are completing the course with those who still have a lap left to go and feels very sociable with lots of words of encouragement floating about.

I finished in 245th place out of a field of 623 participants in a time of 28:58. I really enjoyed this event and can imagine the course changing throughout the seasons and looking especially spectacular during the spring and autumn months. And I can certainly see why it's so popular.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've a Stalker in Jesus

Not Alone in the Forest

Giving Santa the Sack