Valentines parkrun - event 599

Valentines parkrun

On the 2nd December 2023 I ran the Valentines parkrun which was the 599th event held at the venue, my 157th parkrun and 83rd different course I'd attended.

Last week I skipped the tourist trail again. Twice in three weeks I revisited a previously attended event and twice in three weeks I set a new course PB. Last weekend was a revisit to Mote Park parkrun for event number 74. I first visited for event number three, struggled in the heat and on the hills and set a time of 30:18. In much cooler temperatures and 18 months of psrkrunning behind me I set a new time of 27:59 which greatly exceeded my expectations.

But whilst I certainly enjoyed returning to Mote park and enjoyed what is a lovely course. I also had the pleasure of sharing the experience with Reaso and Amelie who smashed her first full length parkrun. I couldn't help but miss the feeling of discovering a new course for the first time and the fulfilling sensation of adding another tick against the lost of events I'd not yet visited.

Such is the sadness of this compulsion, I found myself on Saturday morning on what was arguably the coldest morning of the year up at the crack of dawn trying to find information on whether my chosen venue was hold an event or was to be beaten by the weather. I got in the car with two pairs of shoes in case I had to take a detour onto a plan B in the event than plan A canceled whilst I was en route.

As it was, Valentines parkrun is made of stern stuff. A two lap anti-clockwise course which takes in majority of the park is all, entirely on tarmac paths. There are a couple of small bridges which are made out of wood and were a little bit slippery, but we were warned about them in the pre-run briefing and were covered by a marshall as an extra precaution.

From the start, which is alongside the boating lake on the southern end of the park next to the cafe. Participants head west for a couple of hundred meters before turning left and running past an ornate clocktower which looks out over the lake. The path on the main starting stretch is wide and flat which helps provide a quick and smooth get away, so by the time you reach the clock tower everyone should be well seeded and positioned to finish in formation.

As the weather was dull, grey and slightly misty the park wasn't looking at it's best. It was however still showing signs of autumn with trees multiple hues of red and orange and blankets of leaves, frosty and crispy underfoot.

There is also plenty of water around, with the aforementioned lake prominent at the southern end of the park with ponds and ornamental fountains in the north. The route winds its way up to the northern part of the park and there's a particular section here which was most impressive. A long, straight avenue lined both sides with tall tree carrying the colours of autumn. 

On the way back around to complete the lap the route takes in more of the recreational areas of the park, passing tennis courts and play areas. I'd imagine in warmer, sunnier months the whole park being full of activity.

After the second lap participants turn left back onto the starting straight and complete the 200 meter sprint to the finish funnel.

Despite still having some discomfort in my left thigh I ran well and finishes strongly. I came home in 81st place out of a field of 211 participants in a time of 27:15, which keeps up a consistent run of strong results.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've a Stalker in Jesus

Not Alone in the Forest

Giving Santa the Sack