Whinlatter Forest parkrun - event 188

Whinlatter Forest parkrun

On the 1st April 2023 I ran the Whinlatter Forest parkrun which was the 188th event held at the venue, my 124th parkrun and 53rd different course I'd attended.

Over the course of writing this series of parkrun related blog posts there have been many explanations about how plans have evolved and changed, but this one may just be the most random.

Originally I had planned to attend Chalkwell Beach, event number 89 to tick off another Prime Number. But Shaun Williams scored a 94th minute winner against Carlisle for Gillingham last week and on an air of confidence, boosted by the late drama my friend Reaso and talked about how we should attend the next game on the calendar, Barrow away. 

But first I needed to talk to my Dad.

My Dad and I had a been talking about Barrow away for a number of weeks as it was one of the games that Dad was desperate to go to. He may well have retired as a fully fledged football fan, but the little part of him who remembers those days recalled Barrow as a league side and having unfinished business with them. But after conversation and much deliberation we never managed to get something sorted, so when I spoke about it again with him and the possibility of travelling up with Reaso and his son George, Dad declined due to work commitments. No problem I thought, there is always next season.

Having spoken again to Reaso, "Dad can't make it, we'll go next season", Reaso confirmed that he and George would be going anyway. Which left me in a bit of a pickle. I desperately wanted to go. Not so much for the football, but because of the plan I'd cunningly put together that had enabled us to see the football in and around parkrun. You see, Barrow is on the edge of the Lake District and within the Lake District there are a number of parkruns, all of various levels of magnificence. The jewel in the crown being Whinlatter Forest and the plan that I had concocted had involved ticking off that particular bucket from the parkrun bucket list.

Back on the phone again. "Dad, I know you really wanted to go, and I know I said I'd go next season, but do you mind if I go with Reaso and George as they are going anyway?".

I did feel guilty and felt guilty all weekend, but I had Dad's permission and all being well and fortunate with the fixture calendar next season I'll gladly make the return trip. But that is the full and true account of how I swapped a prime number parkrun event for one 327 miles further north and boy am I glad that I did!

The plan was simple, I'd take the afternoon off work on Friday, and Hayden would have a half day off school. Reaso would pick Hayden and I up and we'd travel north staying at a Premier Inn in Cockermouth, which was 20 minutes from Whinlatter Forest. Reaso was having a few technical issues with his car, so he hired a replacement and added me as a named driver which enabled me to share the load of driving, which again was fortunate as it involved a LOT of mileage behind the wheel!

We left Gravesend at 1.30pm, and after stopping off at the car hire place to complete the necessary admin to add my name to the insurance cover, we set off and took the long route north via the M11 and A1. After a couple of hours and some stop-start progress we stopped off near Peterborough for a drink and comfort break and it was my turn behind the wheel. After I'd finally gotten comfortable behind the wheel of an automatic and had found my way back via the scenic route to the A1 after ignoring the sat-nav (and laughed off Reaso's frustrated rolling eyes) we continued the long slog north eventually stopping again for dinner just outside Barnard Castle as we left the A1 for the A66 across the Pennines. 

The queue for fast food was as slow as it ever was at a roadside service station and the feeling of guilt and disgust as high as ever after a KFC, but despite the extra hour of daylight saving we were still left defeated by the clock as it meant travelling the last leg in the dark, which was quite the disappointment. After putting up with the dull and monotonous views of the A1 for so long it would have been great to first have seen the vast landscape of the Pennines on the A66 and then be greeted by the lakes from Penrith and beyond.

Upon arrival at the Premier Inn in Cockermouth a full 8 hours after we'd left home we went straight to the bar and ordered a well deserved beer. I got chatting to the barmaid who was asking us about our trip and reasons for travel. I told her about our supporting the Gills and our game at Barrow and how we had travelled a little further north to take in the sights of Whinlatter Forest parkrun. She told us of her own parkrun journey and how her son had taken part in the Corby event and she had joined in for the fun of it. It was quite nice having someone to exchange tales with as mostly the mention of parkrun is met with a sigh or rolling eyes whenever I broach the subject at home!

I hadn't been entirely honest with Reaso, as when I sold the idea to him all I had said was that Whinlatter parkrun "was a bit special". I failed to mention the hills or the elevation gain and wanted it to remain a secret for as long as possible. I hate not knowing about anything and have to know everything in advance, but quite happy to keep secrets from others so that they get to enjoy the full experience in real-time - double standards I know!

Our first impressions of the Lake District came in the morning, Hayden woke me up at some ridiculous early hour by opening up the curtains and peeping outside - the sun was bright and lit up what was a darkened hotel room. We were on the side of the hotel which overlooked the fields across the road and the hills beyond. I was just glad to see sunshine after a day of heavy rain on the drive up. It meant for better running conditions and it meant that the green fields of the view outside were bright and inviting.

Whinlatter Forest parkrun is held at the venue of the same name. It is a country park managed by forestry England in the same way that Bedgebury Pinetum is and shares the same branding and logo/colour scheme. Also the same as Bedgebury Pinetum is the Go Ape facilities, cycle hire/trails and a rather good cafe. 

Set on the side of a hill, the parkrun starts by the car park and visitor centre. Reaso and George had started to get a sense of the surroundings and soon realised that the parkrun would be a potential challenge. The only hint I gave them was to remember at the end that someone had finished the course in 17.35, which was the male course record. Hayden had seen the videos on YouTube and was well versed into what to expect.

The welcome briefing was humourous and being April 1st was an opportunity to try and pull the wool over a few people's eyes about having to run up the hill twice. Either way, Reaso and George were no longer under no illusions about the task ahead.

Initially the course heads gently downwards along a fire service track. I was running slowly holding onto Hayden's hand as I didn't want him running off too fast and tiring himself out so wanted to try and control his pace which worked a lot better than it did with Phoebe last month on our visit to Lordship Recreation Ground parkrun.

After a few hundred meters of descent the path dips down at a sharper gradient and continues downhill at quite a scary angle. I don't know whether it was because I was running with Hayden but my danger levels had increased and was running with trepidation instead of enjoyment but having reached the bottom of the hill successfully it was now time a change of direction.

After 600 meters or so of down hill running it was time for the 2 kilometer plus of incline. Winding up the hill, still on the fire service track the path weaved, snaking it's way up the hill surrounded by long pine trees and lush vegetation. I knew that the views at the top were going to make the hard climb up worthwhile and I was justified in my thinking as the views truly were magnificent.

Hayden had made his way some of the way up whilst running, but his legs gave up on him and he slowed down to a walk before stop/starting intermittently for the rest of the way. But to his absolute credit, he done an amazing job and can be very proud of himself for the effort he put in, particularly at the downhill bit at the end!

Before we got there though, there was the rest of the course to tackle. Being a point to point course the start and finish lines are in different locations, just like Bushy park (the home of the first parkrun event). Once the summit of the hill has been reached it starts to undulate back down the other side of the hill and twists down and around the hillside where a marshall point is reached.

Despite being a point to point course there are only two marshalls on track. The rest of the guidance is provided by the pink arrows which are posted at regular intervals along the course signifying the 5k running route which is one of many routes that loop around the park. Incidentally this is another feature that is shared with Bedgebury Pinetum, which also has several running routes of various distances of their own.

At the marshall point the course turns left off track and onto a trail path. The trail path loops around upon yourself and winds its way back up again bringing you out onto the service track in which you've just came. This trail path, albeit challenging with another sharp incline is a lovely feature of the course as you go deep into the trees and it really does feel like an immersive, into the forest experience.

Back on the service track for the second time it's a case of tackling the last few undulations and then the last 400 meters is a downhill sprint to the finish.

I had to coax Hayden through the last part. "Come on Hayden, it's the last bit now, it's all down hill to the finish". From nowhere he came bombing past me at full speed and I couldn't keep up, let alone catch him!."Be careful!" I screamed, having visions of him stacking it and rolling down the hill like Jack and Jill. He really was going at some pace and for some distance too.

I finished in a time of 45:07, two seconds behind Hayden and came in 66th position out of a field of 75 participants. Both Reaso and George finished a minute up the road. But to provide further context to Hayden's pace. On the fourth hardest parkrun event, with over 1,000ft elevation gain Hayden finished just a minute slower than Phoebe recorded her time at a virtually flat course and moaned the whole way around!

Hayden was duly rewarded with breakfast in the café, including three scoops of ice cream which nobody thought he'd finish, but surprised us all again by demolishing the whole lot.

I could quite easily have spent the day at Whinlatter Forest, or rerun the parkrun course for a shot at a freedom run. It simply was beautiful and a totally spectacular course. You can see why it's one of the jewels in the parkrun crown. Without parkrun I'd have never visited Whinlatter Forest and my life has been made so much richer for the experience. Even if you are not into parkrun and are in the area, make sure you pay a visit, you'll not be disappointed. 

Which bring me on to the Gills and the football. But let's not go into that one here...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've a Stalker in Jesus

Not Alone in the Forest

Giving Santa the Sack