Billericay parkrun - event 222

Billericay parkrun

On the 14th January 2023 I ran the Billericay parkrun which was the 222nd event held at the venue, my 113th parkrun and 43rd different course I'd attended.

After visiting all of the parkruns in Kent and working my way through the parkrun alphabet there isn't any other goal in mind at the moment other than trying to run at different venues to keep enjoying blazing the parkrun tourist trail. So my next few planned runs have been designed around event numbers and ticking off events that are prime numbers, fibonacci numbers and those that are considered a Nelson.

Which is how I found myself at Billericay parkrun in the wind and rain on a cold and miserable January morning, celebrating the 222nd event held at the venue.

With the wind and rain came conditions that were a direct result of the weather. Crossing the park in order to reach the start I slipped and slid, nearly fell over and resented the idea of four laps around the park that comprised a section of grass and wondered why on earth I hadn't changed into my trail shoes. Time wasn't on my side at this point after waiting for my travelling companion Foordy, who for the second week in succession had kept me waiting whilst using the bathroom after a night before of excesses, so my tried and tested early arrival plans were no longer applicable.

I need not have worried, as during the welcome meeting we were informed that due to the conditions we'd be running a slightly alternative route. Instead of four laps of the park we'd be running five, all based on tarmac paths. My road shoes indeed would be just fine.

In one sense I was pleased, but on another my anxiety levels rose ever such a little. Before we even arrived at the park, after doing my research and reading the course description I was concerned that four laps would be tricky and that I'd lose concentration, run an extra lap or one too little. Or somehow end up discombobulated and run around continuously in a loss as to how many laps I'd run. So the idea of an additional lap did fill me slightly with trepidation.

As it was i need not have worried, everything was actually rather straightforward and much simpler than I thought!

The park itself, despite the weather is an attractive suburban recreational space which comprises of a lake, sports courts and children's play areas. There are hills within the park of which the course does comprise of and I assume when not grey and miserable looks actually rather quite pleasant and is a space to run or enjoy leisure time in with friends and family.

We started on the north side of the park on a path next to the lake. As the starting position had changed and was now on the tarmac paths the space was quite constricted and nobody wanted to particularly start on the grass which meant the field stretching some way back. Being disorganized I hadn't arranged myself until told by the run director, so I found myself much closer to the back of the field than I would have placed myself had I had the choice. Foordy was also suffering from a sore knee and made a late judgement call on whether to walk or run. He'd decided to walk and positioned himself at the back, but once we'd started I found myself stuck and unable to get moving at the pace I would have liked.

Due to the weather and the state of the grass I had no confidence that I'd be able to have sufficient grip in which to pass. I wasn't alone, as there were other people also looking to move up the field, so patience was key. Eventually towards the second half of the first lap gaps started to appear and overtaking opportunities soon presented themselves.

Each lap comprised of a route around the lake before an ascent up a hill towards the the southeastern part of the park. Whilst some people have described it as hilly, I'd suggest otherwise. I mean of course it does go up and there is a gradient, but I'd not classify it as a hill in the same way as other events I've been to. It may well be that the four laps course does take in a more serious hill, but the 5 lap course was perfectly manageable.

Once at the top, the path turns left and goes around the tennis courts. It takes a little dip here and gradually rises back up again before dipping down sharply towards the start and back around past the lake.

After the congestion of the first lap, it wasn't until the second that I was able to get into the usual rythym of a Saturday morning run. Towards the end of the lap I was overtaken by the front runner as well as overtaking Foordy for myself who was still walking his way around. The field became a real mix of people and as a result I wasn't quite sure who I was overtaking or who was overtaking me. But that actually enhanced the experience in some ways as it made the event feel much more inclusive.

Eventually, at the end of five laps, where I was overtaken again by the front runners and had overtaken Foordy again for a second time I turned right onto the grass and into the finish funnel and walked across the finish line trying not to slip as I went. With the congestion of the first lap and the slow nature of the start I found myself having loads of energy at the end and was able to push for a real sprint finish, or at least I did until.the final few metres as the grass areas of the finish funnel were somewhat precarious!

I finished in 107th out of a field of 245 participants in a time of 29:16. Whilst parkrun isn't necessarily about time, there was definitely additional time to be had yesterday on the course, particularly on the first lap. But nevertheless it was an opportunity yesterday to visit a place I'd never been before, running in a park I'd never been before and enjoying everything new experiences bring - which is why I enjoy the touring element of parkrun so much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've a Stalker in Jesus

Not Alone in the Forest

Giving Santa the Sack