Realisation of a Dream

Wedding Bands

Last night Stephanie and I, accompanied by Pat and Colin, my soon to be in-laws, visited the Little Silver County hotel to confirm the final itinerary ahead of our big day and more importantly pay off our "big cheque". With everything now firmly set in stone there really is no going back and we can start counting down the days with a little less stress and look forward to our last days of freedom as specially arranged by our respective best man and bridesmaid in Ibiza and London!

Last night was the starkest realisation yet that the plans of the past two years are coming to fruition and that finally after thirteen years Stephanie and I will finally getting married! It has been a long time coming, but we have put those years to good use. In fact, as Oliver, the hotel manager ran through the various questions he had for us, recommendations of things that we needed to do, we kept surprising him with answers of "done", "done" and "here you are". I would like to claim responsibility for our organisational skills, but I'd be served divorce papers before August is out as the result of this little white lie.

It has been very much a team affair with both of us playing our roles perfectly. Stephanie, who I dreaded would turn into Bridezilla has been quietly getting on with things, keeping me in the loop on everything and asking me for my opinion every step of the way. My opinion hasn't obviously counted for anything, so I have learnt that saying "yes" to everything keeps the peace! I have stood my ground on a couple of things, but it's been purely ironing out some of the more aesthetic features of the day, small fry in the grand scheme of things.

Although things seem to be going fairly smoothly, we haven't been without the odd storm on the way. Pat and Colin have been amazing and Stephanie and I owe a debt of gratitude for their unwavering assistance. Supporting Stephanie emotionally after any setback and providing help and advice to us both on the financial side, ensuring that come 11th September, Stephanie's day will be one that she will always remember.

I've said it before about my own parents, how much we appreciate them and the way in which they support us. Pat and Colin are equally heroic in both our eyes. We have been blessed really. Tradition dictates that we are supposed to vent our spleen at our our spouses parents, the infamous mother in law from hell is well documented, but both of us have been given a gift from the Gods, we wouldn't change anything for the world.

Our day is just as much a day for them, for both sets of parents. It may be a realisation of a dream for Stephanie and I, thirteen years of courtship to be ceremoniously ended and a new life together just beginning. But more importantly it is the union of two families with Stephanie and I the glue that binds them both together. We have been given a massive responsibility because we have been shown the way. If we can emulate just a fraction of what either of our parents have achieved our marriage will be a rich and rewarding one - and neither of us can wait to start!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've a Stalker in Jesus

Not Alone in the Forest

Birdy's Bognor Hen Do - The Official Story